March 15, 2014
CSUN Updated Season Statistics
CSUN vs Cal Poly Pre Game Notes - The 2014 Big West Tournament Championship
CSUN Updated Season Statistics
Pre Game Notes - The championship game of the 2014 Big West Tournament between Cal State Northridge and Cal Poly
Game Gossip …
- #5 seed Cal State Northridge (17-17) vs #7 Cal Poly (12-19), Saturday, March 15, 2014, 7:30 pm, Honda Center, The Big West Conference Tournament Championship Game
- The CSUN vs Long Beach State game will be televised live on ESPN2.
- Live Stats, Twitter updates and internet radio coverage will be available on Gomatdors.com
Record Review …
- Cal State Northridge is 17-17 overall … CSUN has won ten games by six points or less.
- CSUN has played a school record seven overtime games (5-2) this year … Six (4-2) of those overtime games have been played during the last 12 games.
- CSUN is now 4-0 in neutral court games this year, and 7-0 in the last two seasons.
Series Story …
- The oldest series in Cal State Northridge history will be renewed when the Matadors face Cal Poly in the championship game of the 2014 Big West Conference Tournament ... It will be the 94th meeting with the Mustangs holding a 50-43 lead ... Earlier this year (1/16/14), CSUN dropped a 62-52 decision to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo ... Stephan Hicks (6-6, 200, Junior, G/F, Thousand Oaks, Ca) led the Mustangs with 16 points (10-for-12 from the free throw line) along with five rebounds ... Tre Hale-Edmerson (6-7, 215, Sophomore, Forward, Sheridan, Or) added 13 points and eight rebounds ... Josh Greene (6-0, 180, Senior, Guard, Los Angeles, Ca) added ten points ... In the second meeting (2/13/14), Cal Poly recorded a 62-55 win over CSUN at the Matadome … Four CSUN starters scored in double figures led by Stephen Maxwell (6-7, 220, Junior, Forward, Woodland Hills, Ca) with 18 points and seven rebounds … Cal Poly has beaten Cal State Northridge four straight times … In the 93 games played between the two schools, none of those games have been played on a neutral court.
Free Throw Facts …
- Cal State Northridge has again taken over the nation's lead in free throws made … With 28 free throws against Long Beach State (3/14/14) in the Big West Conference Tournament semifinals, the Matadors have made a school record 747 charity tosses … Brigham Young has 707 to rank second nationally.
- CSUN leads the nation in free throw percentage … The Matadors have a free throw percentage of .790 compared to .783 for Providence College.
- In 19 games, CSUN has hit 80 percent or better from the free throw line.
Greene's Gossip …
- Josh Greene continues to have an amazing year from the free throw line … With a 9-for-9 effort against Hawai'i on Thursday night at the Big West Conference Tournament Quarterfinals, Greene now is shooting .922 (166-for-180), tops in the Big West Conference and well ahead of the school record of .869 set by Chuck Malouf in 1963-64 … Greene's .922 free throw percentage is currently second-best for a single season in Big West Conference history … The league record holder is Clay McKnight (Pacific), who hit 74-of-78 tosses form the charity stripe for a .949 percentage in 1999-00.
- Josh Greene, who has broken seven school records this season, is aiming at two more school marks … In addition to the single season free throw percentage record chronicled earlier in these game notes, Greene has a career free throw percentage of .874 (408-for-467), ahead of the current school record of .867 set by Chuck Malouf (1961-64).