Nick Delio Slips to 23rd After Two Rounds at NCAA West Regional
May 20, 2011
RANCHO SANTA FE, Calif. - Matador senior Nick Delio carded a three over-par 75 in the second round of the NCAA West Regional and is tied for 23rd-place heading into the final round of the tournament.
The senior from Valencia, Calif., opened with a (-2) 70 on Thursday and was tied for seventh after one round. But on Friday, he found trouble as he opened on hole No. 10 and is now tied for 23rd at one over-par 145 but he is just four shots behind Jason Millard of Middle Tennessee State who is currently the low individual at (-3) 141. The low five teams and the low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals.
"I just struggled on the greens today," said Delio. "I couldn't get anything to drop but I didn't shoot myself out of it. If I shoot around four or five-under tomorrow, I'll have a decent chance of moving on to Nationals."
Delio opened Friday's second round on the back nine and after making bogey at the par-four 10th, he bounced back to birdie the par-five 12th to remain at even par. However, bogeys at 15, 16 and 17 dropped him to three over-par before a birdie on No. 18 gave him a two-over score of 38 on the back nine.
Another bogey on No. 1 opened his second nine and pars on the next eight holes kept him at three-over for the day and one-over for the tournament.
"Nick didn't play horribly today, he just had some putts lip out," said head coach Jim Bracken. "I'm expecting a good round from Nick tomorrow, he's going to go out and play the best he can and what ever happens happens."
2011 NCAA WEST REGIONAL
The Farms G.C.
Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
1. Patrick Cantlay, UCLA 69-67--136 (-8)
2. Steve Lim, USC 68-71--139 (-5)
3. Dylan Frittelli, Texas 68-73--141 (-3)
3. Jason Millard, Middle Tennessee State 72-69--141 (-3)
5. T.J. Bordeaux, Pacific 74-68--142 (-2)
5. Don Dense, Siena 71-71--142 (-2)
5. Derek Ernst, UNLV 69-73--142 (-2)
5. Jeffrey Kang, USC 66-76--142 (-2)
5. Brett Patterson, Middle Tennessee State 72-70--142 (-2)
5. Manav Shah, San Diego 70-72==142 (-2)
5. Taylor Travis, San Francisco 73-69--142 (-2)
23. Nick Delio, Northridge 70-75--145 (+1)
- GO MATADORS -