CSUN Returns to Matador Soccer Field for Contests with Tulsa, San Diego
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Matadors Host Golden Hurricanes, Toreros in CSUN Soccer Doubleheaders
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (3-5) hosts a pair of non-conference matches at Matador Soccer Field this week as part of a pair of CSUN soccer doubleheaders. On Friday, Sept. 20, the women's team will face Tulsa at approximately 7:30 p.m. after a men's match against UNLV at 5 p.m. On Sunday, Sept. 22, the women's team will face San Diego at 1 p.m., followed by a men's match with UCLA at 7 p.m. Both games will feature live stats and live audio with links available at GoMatadors.com.
Last week, CSUN picked up victories over Oregon State and Fresno State. Against the Beavers, CSUN got penalty kick goals from Chloe McDaniel and Hannah Wissler while Camille Watson scored her first career goal. The victory was the Matadors' second against a Pac-12 opponent since the 1999 season.
Two days later, the Matadors recorded a comeback victory at Fresno State. After falling behind in the ninth minute, Brittanie Sakajian and Amanda Smith scored second-half goals to lead CSUN to a 2-1 victory. With the win, CSUN is now 29-1-2 since the start of the 2008 season when they score at least two goals in a match.
This week CSUN faces a pair of tests as it looks to defend Matador Soccer Field. The University of Tulsa Golden Hurricanes enter Friday's contest with a 5-2 record after dropping a close 3-2 decision to nationally ranked Penn State. Senior Bradi Hinch leads the squad with four goals and eight points on the season. Fellow senior midfielder Camille Pelley has three goals and an assist while nine other players have registered at least one point this season.
Two days later, CSUN hosts San Diego in the second meeting between the two clubs this year. The Toreros scored a 3-1 home victory over the Matadors on Sept. 1. Since then, San Diego has recorded victories over Missouri and Kansas and before facing Northridge, the Toreros will get a crack at crosstown rival San Diego State on Sept. 20. Emily Dillon leads the squad with five goals and 12 points while Michaela Dooley has five goals and 11 points.
- CSUN has Faced Four Pac-12 Opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with nine career assists
- Junior Brittanie Sakajian is up to seven career goals and assists for 21 career points
- Freshman Breanna McCallum is tied for the team with two goals and five points
- Freshman Camille Watson scored her first career goal in the win over Oregon State
- Junior Hannah Wissler scored the first goal of her career in the loss at Texas Tech
- Northridge has played in overtime 15 times since 2009 and is 4-4-7 in those contests
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Northridge is 21-9-3 in Big West play since 2009
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 29-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. current members of the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 6-7-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 48 one-goal games and 35 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 20-10-3 in matches at Matador Soccer Field