NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Matadors Face Crosstown Rival Lions
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (4-6) closes out its 2013 non-conference schedule with a visit from the Loyola Marymount Lions on Friday, Sept. 27 at Matador Soccer Field. Kickoff between the Matadors and Lions is slated for 6 p.m. and will be the first official meeting between the clubs since the 2011 season.
Last week, CSUN split a pair of non-conference home matches. The Matadors earned their first shutout of the season in a 1-0 triumph over Tulsa. Sophomore Tabatha Dickson scored her first career goal off a cross from Leandra Walker in the first half to provide the contest's only score. In net, Cynthia Tafoya made three stops to earn her first career shutout and fourth win of the year.
Two days later, CSUN dropped a 2-0 decision to San Diego. The Toreros managed two first half goals to claim both ends of the home-and-home series this year. The match-up was the sixth between the schools since the 2009 campaign.
This week, CSUN tangles with an LMU squad who enters Friday's contest at 3-7. After winning three of their first four matches, the Lions have lost six straight. Through 10 matches, the squad has managed five goals while surrendering 21. Tawni Martino leads the club with two goals and five points. Jocelyn Blankenship has two assists and four points on the season. In goal, Brittany Jagger has started all 10 contests and owns a 2.16 goals-against average and a .618 save percentage with two shutouts.
Next week, the Matadors open their 2013 Big West Conference season with a pair of matches on the road. CSUN is 21-9-3 (.682) in league play since the start of the 2009 season and claimed its first Big West Tournament Championship and NCAA Tournament berth in 2012.
CSUN opens the campaign at UC Riverside on Friday, Oct. 4 with kickoff slated for 6 p.m. in the Inland Empire. Two days later, the Matadors meet up with Cal State Fullerton at 6 p.m. for a rematch of the 2012 Big West Tournament Final.
- CSUN has Faced Four Pac-12 Opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with nine career assists
- Junior Brittanie Sakajian is up to seven career goals and assists for 21 career points
- Freshman Breanna McCallum is tied for the team with two goals and five points
- Freshman Camille Watson scored her first career goal in the win over Oregon State
- Sophomore Tabatha Dickson scored the first goal of her career in the win over Tulsa
- Northridge has played in overtime 15 times since 2009 and is 4-4-7 in those contests
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Northridge is 21-9-3 in Big West play since 2009
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 29-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. current members of the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 6-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 49 one-goal games and 36 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 21-11-3 in matches at Matador Soccer Field