NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Matadors Face Highlanders, Titans to Open League Campaign
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (5-6) hits the road to open its 2013 Big West Conference campaign, traveling for contests at UC Riverside and Cal State Fullerton. On Friday, Oct. 4, the Matadors head to the Inland Empire to face the Highlanders in a 6 p.m. contest. Two days later, CSUN squares off with Cal State Fullerton in another 6 p.m. tilt. Both games will feature live stats available at GoMatadors.com.
Last week, CSUN took a 2-1 decision over LMU and has now won five of its past seven matches. Sophomore Lyndsey Preston scored her first career goal to lift the Matadors to their third-straight win against the Lions. Junior Brittanie Sakajian added her team-leading third goal of the season and fellow junior Leandra Walker registered her team-leading third assist in the match.
This week, CSUN faces a pair of tough road tests. Although UC Riverside is 3-7-1 overall, the Matadors lost 3-1 the last time they played at UC Riverside Soccer Stadium. Alexa Bustamante and Tatum Lockett each have two goals on the season while Sammy Arellano has a goal and assist. Elizabeth Silas has played the majority of minutes in net and has a 1.47 goals-against average with 37 saves and a shutout. Northridge has won five of the past seven contests with UC Riverside.
Two days later, the Matadors meet the Titans in a rematch of the 2012 Big West Tournament Championship. Cal State Fullerton, who hosts Hawai'i on Friday night, enters the week with a 5-3-3 overall record and have allowed a league-best eight goals on the season. Erica Mazeau leads the squad with two goals, three assists and seven points. Christina Burkenroad adds two goals and an assist for five points. In net, Lindsey Maricic has made nine starts and has a 0.71 GAA, 57 saves and four shutouts. The Matadors have won five of the last six contests with the Titans and the last two played at Titan Stadium.
Next week, CSUN returns to Matador Soccer Field to face Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. The Matadors will host the Mustangs on Thursday, Oct. 10 (7 p.m.) and then face the Gauchos (4 p.m.) as part of a CSUN Soccer Doubleheader on Sunday, Oct. 13.
Follow Your Matadors Online
All home matches this season will include live stats coverage and selected matches will also feature a free audio broadcast on GoMatadors.com. For road contests related links to the game, including for any live stats, audio and video, will be posted before the match on the schedule page of GoMatadors.com. Fans are also encouraged to check the Cal State Northridge Athletics Department's official Twitter feed (@GoMatadors) for updates of matches in progress and news and notes throughout the week.
- CSUN has faced four Pac-12 Opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- CSUN has had five different players record a game-winning goal in 2013
- CSUN has had five different players score their first career goal in 2013
- Northridge has played in overtime 15 times since 2009 and is 4-4-7 in those contests
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Northridge is 21-9-3 in Big West play since 2009
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 30-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 7-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 50 one-goal games and 36 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 22-11-3 in matches at Matador Soccer Field
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- McDaniel was a 2013 Big West Scholar-Athlete
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with 9 career assists
- Junior Brittanie Sakajian has totaled 8 goals, 7 assists and 23 points in her career