NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Matadors Host 49ers, Anteaters in Final Homestand of 2013
The Cal State Northridge women's soccer team (5-10-1, 0-4-1 Big West) plays its final two home matches of the 2013 season this week with visits from Long Beach State and UC Irvine. On Friday, Oct. 25, the Matadors will tangle with the 49ers in a 7 p.m. contest at Matador Soccer Field. Two days later, CSUN squares off with UC Irvine in a 6 p.m. contest that will serve as Senior Day for the Matadors' four senior student-athletes. Both matches will feature live stats and live audio with links available at GoMatadors.com. Fans are also encouraged to check with the CSUN Athletic Department's official Twitter account (@GoMatadors) for in-game updates throughout the weekend.
Last week, CSUN dropped a 1-0 decision at UC Davis in double-overtime. The win snapped a Matador five-match winning streak against the Aggies and was Northridge's third-straight 1-0 defeat. This week, Long Beach State carries an 8-5-2 overall record and 2-1-2 mark in Big West play. Mimi Rangel leads the 49ers with five goals and 14 points while Elizabeth Lyons has a team-high six assists. In net, Kaci McCain has played the majority of minutes and carries a 0.82 goals-against average and .804 save percentage. CSUN has two of the last three contests with LBSU, including a 1-0 overtime victory last year in Long Beach.
UC Irvine enters the week at 8-6 overall and 3-2 in Big West play. Laura McGrail leads the Anteaters with five goals, three assists and 13 points. Natalia Ledezma has four goals and nine points. In net, Jennifer Randazzo and Corey Tobin have split time with both goalkeepers owning a 4-3 record on the season. Tobin has played all but five minutes against Big West opposition. CSUN is 1-2-3 in its last six contests against UCI, with the three draws all being 0-0 finishes.
CSUN has four seniors competing in their final season of Division I soccer in 2013: Haley Chee, Chloe McDaniel, Amanda Smith and Wendy Warner. All four have helped the Matadors reach new program highs and records, including a berth in the 2012 NCAA Tournament.
McDaniel has served as a three-year team captain, was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year and was a 2013 Senior CLASS Candidate. Smith has amassed nine assists in her career, tying her for ninth in school history. Chee has been a fixture in midfield throughout her four seasons and picked up an assist in the Matadors' match at UC Riverside. Finally, Warner has started 14 of the 16 contests thus far and scored her first career goal last year in a victory at San Diego. The quartet will be honored prior to the start of the contest with the Anteaters.
- Northridge is 21-13-4 (.605) in Big West play since 2009
- CSUN has had five different players record a game-winning goal in 2013
- CSUN has had five different players score their first career goal in 2013
- Northridge has played in overtime 17 times since 2009 and is 4-5-8 in those contests
- CSUN has faced four Pac-12 opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- Northridge recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its victory over Oregon State
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 30-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 7-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 53 one-goal games and 39 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 22-13-3 (.618) in matches at Matador Soccer Field
- Senior Chloe McDaniel was the 2012 Big West Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- McDaniel was named one of 30 candidates for the Senior CLASS Award
- McDaniel was a 2013 Big West Scholar-Athlete
- Senior Amanda Smith is tied for ninth in school history with 9 career assists
- Junior Leandra Walker has a team-high four assists, tied for fifth in the Big West Conference