Matadors Tackle Pac-12’s Utah in Lone Weekend Match
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
CSUN Faces Utes Sunday, first of two Pac-12 Opponents in 2014
The CSUN women's soccer team (0-1-1) heads to Salt Lake City to face the Utah Utes Sunday, Aug. 31 at 1 p.m. (MT) // Noon (PT). The Matadors remain on the road for their third-straight match to open the 2014 season and face their first of two Pac-12 Conference opponents. Live stats will be available at GoMatadors.com for the contest and fans are also encouraged to check with CSUN's official Twitter account (@GoMatadors) for updates throughout the contest.
Last week, CSUN made a trip to Michigan and Toledo. Against the No. 7 Wolverines, an early goal proved to be the difference maker as Michigan eventually added a second to take a 2-0 victory. The Matadors finished with 10 shots in the contest and put five on goal, but were unable to puncture the Michigan defense.
Two days later, CSUN and Toledo played to a scoreless draw after 110 minutes. Junior Cynthia Tafoya made four saves to post the shutout. The Matador offense fired off 19 shots and had nine corner kicks in the draw. The 0-0 result was CSUN's first since a similar finish at UC Irvine in October of 2012.
Through two matches, Tafoya sports a 0.90 goals-against-average, six saves and a .750 save percentage. Offensively, Brittanie Sakajian leads the squad with five shots, three of which have been put on goal. The Matadors have out-shot their first two opponents 29-24 and have 11 shots on goal to eight for their opposition.
Utah, which will host Boise State on Friday, Aug. 29 before facing CSUN, went 1-0-1 in its opening weekend. The Utes posted a 2-0 victory at Oral Roberts and then played to a 1-1 draw at Oklahoma. Katie Taylor, a senior midfielder, has one goal and two assists through two games. In goal, Lindsey Luke sports a 0.45 goals-against-average, four saves and an .800 save percentage. After an NCAA Tournament appearance in 2013, Utah was picked to finish seventh in the Pac-12 Preseason Poll.
Upon returning from Salt Lake City, the Matadors will host their 2014 home opener against Gonzaga on Friday, Sept. 5 at 7 p.m. Two days later, CSUN faces San Diego for the seventh time since the 2009 season, hosting the Toreros at 5 p.m. Both matches will be under the lights at Matador Soccer Field.
- CSUN is 22-14-4 (.600) in Big West play since 2009
- CSUN is 46-47-10 (.495) overall since the start of the 2009 season
- CSUN had six different players record a game-winning goal in 2013
- CSUN had five different players score their first career goal in 2013
- CSUN returns 13 of its 17 (76%) goals and eight goal scorers from the 2013 season
- CSUN has played in overtime 18 times since 2009 and is 4-5-9 in those contests
- CSUN has recorded 32 shutout wins since 2009, the second-most in the Big West Conference
- CSUN faced four Pac-12 opponents in 2013, its most games vs. the league since 2008
- CSUN recorded its second win vs. a Pac-12 opponent since 1999 with its 2013 victory over Oregon State
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 30-1-2 when scoring at least 2 goals
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 5-1-1 vs. the Mountain West Conference
- Since the start of the 2008 season, CSUN is 7-8-2 vs. the West Coast Conference
- Since the start of the 2009 season, CSUN has played in 55 one-goal games and 40 contests that ended 1-0
- Since the start of the 2010 season, CSUN is 23-14-3 (.613) in matches at Matador Soccer Field
- Senior Leandra Walker had a team-high four assists in 2013, tied for sixth in the Big West Conference
- Senior Brittanie Sakajian has 24 career points, four shy of tying her for 10th in program history