NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (3-2) defeated Gonzaga 7-0 Saturday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex in a non-conference contest. The No. 66 Matadors swept the Bulldogs behind solid play from their singles' line-up, including the debut of freshman Amber Walker.
Northridge won its second-straight match and won eight of the nine official contests in its 2012 home opener.
In doubles action, Northridge cruised to the early lead behind a pair of 8-1 victories by its top two teams. Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing improved to 3-1 at the No.1 draw while Nigora Sirojiddinova and Anna Yang improved to 3-2 at the second draw.
In singles action, Yang set the early pace with a straight-set victory in the fifth-seeded match. Making her official CSUN debut, Walker followed suit with a straight-set victory in the sixth draw. Man-Son-Hing was the third CSUN player to win in straight sets.
Sher, Pistalu and Sirojiddinova all needed a third and decisive set in dispatching the Bulldogs.
CSUN's next match will be on the road, a Feb. 15 contest at LMU. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
No. 66 CSUN 7, Gonzaga 0
Feb. 11, 2012
- Jennifer Sher/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Prue Teitzel/Kristina Zauere (GONZ): 8-1
- Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Madeline Parker/Kylie Peek (GONZ): 8-1
- Lorraine Cheung/Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Sophie Lantta/Katie Edwards (GONZ): 5-5 (13-11)
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
- Sher (CSUN) def. Teitzel (GONZ): 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
- Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Edwards (GONZ): 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Peek (GONZ): 6-4, 6-3
- Pistalu (CSUN) def. Zauere (GONZ): 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Yang (CSUN) def. Lantta (GONZ): 6-1, 6-2
- Amber Walker (CSUN) def. Parker (GONZ): 6-3, 7-6 (2)
Order of Finish: 5,6 4,3,2,1