NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (4-3, 2-1 Big West) defeated UC Riverside 7-0 in a Big West Conference match Saturday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN lost only one set to UCR on the day and posted its second home sweep of the season.
Northridge got off to a strong start behind its double play. Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung won their third-seeded match 8-3 to start things. Then, both the No. 1 doubles team of Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and the No. 3 team of Nigora Sirojiddinova and Anna Yang recorded identical 9-7 victories to earn the point for CSUN.
In singles action, Sher was the first to finish and did not lose a game in winning in straight sets in the top draw. Yang was the next to finish, posting a straight-set win in the fifth contest. Man-Son-Hing was the third to finish and won 6-3, 6-3 in the third draw.
Pistalu overcame a first set loss to rally and win in three sets in the No. 4 singles match. Sirojiddinova then posted a 6-4, 6-3 win in the second draw. Finally, Cheung recorded a 6-1, 7-6 (3) victory in the sixth draw.
CSUN returns to action on Saturday, Mar. 3 with a contest at CSU Bakersfield. The Matadors' next home match is set for Friday, Mar. 9 against Furman.
CSUN 7, UCR 0
Feb. 25, 2012
Matador Tennis Complex
1. Sher/man-son-hing (CSUN ) def. raney/raney (UCR) 9-7
2. Sirojiddinova/Yang (CSUN) def. Saltarelli/mckay (UCR): 9-7
3. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Pattugalan/Bergeson (UCR): 8-3
1. Sher def. J. Raney: 6-0, 6-0
2. Sirojiddinova def. Saltarelli: 6-4, 6-3
3. Man-Son-Hing def. T. Raney : 6-3, 6-3
4. Pistalu def. McKay: 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
5 Yang def. Pattugalan: 6-1, 6-0
6. Cheung def. Bergeson: 6-1, 7-6 (3)
order: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2, 6