Matadors Can't Survive Marathon Match with Fresno State
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-4) lost 6-1 at Fresno State Sunday afternoon. Playing their second match on the road in as many days, the Matadors saw four singles matches go to three sets, yet came away with the victory in only one of them.
Usually a catalyst for its success, CSUN saw Fresno State sweep the doubles point. In the three matches, Northridge won no more than three games and the Bulldogs took the early 1-0 lead.
In singles play, Fresno State took the first two matches to finish, a pair of straight-set victories in the third and sixth draw.
Northridge would get its only point of the day in the third match to finish, the fourth-draw, where Maria Pistalu posted a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory to improve to 5-4 on the season.
Fresno State won its fourth point at the fifth draw, where Anna Yang was one of three Matadors to fall in a third and decisive set.
CSUN returns to action on Mar. 9 with a home match against Furman.
Fresno State, 6 Northridge, 1
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
1. No. 42 Marianne Jodoin (FS) d. Jen Sher (CSUN), 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-0
2. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) d. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN), 7-6(3), 5-7, 7-5
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) d.Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 6-3, 6-1
4. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) d. Melissa McQueen (FS), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Laura Pola (FS) d. Anna Yang (CSUN) 6-7 (8), 7-5, 6-3
6. Tanya Murtagh (FS) d. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-4, 6-1
1. Jodoin/Kirpicheva (FS) d. Sher/ Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 8-3
2. Bianca Modoc/McQueen (FS) d. Yang/Sirojiddinova (CSUN), 8-1
3. Pola/Agrawal (FS) d. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN), 8-2