NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's basketball team (7-5) defeated the University of Portland 5-2 Friday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN swept the doubles point and took four of the six singles matches in dispatching the Pilots.
At the No. 2 doubles spot, Nigora Sirojiddinova and Anna Yang evened their season record to 6-6 with an 8-4 victory. Finally, Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung moved to 7-4 with an 8-1 victory in the third doubles draw.
In singles action, Sher moved to 8-4 on the year with her 6-1, 6-3 victory in the top draw. All of Sher's singles contests have been at the No. 1 spot. At the second draw, Sirojiddinova posted a 6-2, 7-5 victory to improve her season record to 7-5.
The other two Matadors to win in singles play were Yang and Cheung. Yang snapped a three-game losing streak in winning 6-1, 6-1 at the fourth draw. Cheung won 6-0, 6-1 in the fifth draw.
Friday also saw the debut of Corinne Schnyder, a freshman from Switzerland. Unfortnuately, she lost in straight sets in the sixth draw. Man-Son-Hing was the other Matador to fall in singles action.
CSUN returns action on Mar. 17 with a contest against Dartmouth.
1. Sher/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Polyakova/Fuchs (UP): 8-5
2. Sirojiddinova/Yang (CSUN) def. Heath/Tucker(UP): 8-4
3. Pistalu/Cheung def. Mahairas/Gorence (UP): 8-1
1. Sher (CSUN) def. Polyakova (UP): 6-1, 6-3
2. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Fuchs (UP): 6-2, 7-5
3. Heath (UP) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 6-2, 7-5
4. Yang (CSUN) def. Tucker (UP): 6-1, 6-1
5. Cheung (CSUN) def. Mahairas (UP): 6-0, 6-1
6. Gorence (UP) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 6-3, 6-3