NORTHRIDGE, Calif. --- The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (8-5) defeated Bowdoin College 6-1 Monday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. After having two of their matches called off over the weekend due to rain, the Matadors hit the courts under the California sun and dispatched a feisty Polar Bear squad.
Bowdoin, currently ranked No. 15 in the ITA NCAA Division III poll and home of Civil War personality Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, gave CSUN quite a test Monday afternoon. The Polar Bears took one doubles match, one singles match and forced three others into a third and decisive set.
Nigora Sirojiddinova and Maria Pistalu secured the opening point of the match by taking an 8-5 decision in the No. 2 draw. Bowdoin won the third-seeded doubles match 8-1 over freshmen Shelby Sinoway and Corinne Schnyder.
In singles action, Sher continued to perform well for the Matadors and earned a straight-set victory in the top draw. She is now 9-4 on the season and has won six of her last seven singles matches.
Sirojiddinova also picked up a straight-set victory (7-5, 6-0) to improve her season record to 8-5 in singles competition. She is now 8-2 in singles work over her last 10 matches.
The third, fourth and fifth singles matches all went to a third and decisive set, though CSUN prevailed in all three. Man-Son-Hing snapped a four-match skid with a 3-6, 6-2 and 6-2 victory at No. 3. Pistlau also came back from a first set loss to win 6-7 (5), 6-2 and 6-2 at No. 4.
Finally Schnyder recorded her first career singles victory as a Matador, winning 4-6, 6-4 and 10-4 at the No. 5. Sinoway, making her CSUN debut, fell in straight sets in the sixth draw.
The Matadors return to action on Friday, Mar. 23 with a home match against UTEP. First serve at Matador Tennis Complex is slated for 2 p.m.
CSUN 6, Bowdoin 1
Mar. 19, 2012
Matador Tennis Complex
1. Sher/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Alberstone//Winingham (BC): 8-1
2. Sirojiddinova/Pistalu (CSUN) def. Chow/Lombardi (BC): 8-5
3. Lewis/Lavertu (BC) def. Sinoway/Schnyder (CSUN): 8-1
1. Sher (CSUN) def. Winingham (BC): 6-2, 6-1
2. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Lombardi (BC): 7-5, 6-0
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Lavertu (BC): 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Pistlau (CSUN) def. Lewis (BC): 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2
5. Schnyder (CSUN) def. Hoerner (BC): 4-6, 6-4, 10-4
6. Howard (BC) def. Sinoway (CSUN): 6-1, 6-2