Northridge Tennis Rebounds with 5-2 Victory over LMU
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (11-8) defeated LMU 5-2 Tuesday afternoon in a non-conference match in Los Angeles. The Matadors rebounded from a tough loss to Cal Poly with a convincing win over the Lions that included five singles victories.
CSUN found itself down 1-0 early, having lost two of the three doubles contests. Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing won their top-seeded draw 8-4, but LMU was triumphant in both the No. 2 and No. 3 matches. Sher and Man-Son-Hing are now 13-5 in No. 1 doubles this year.
In singles, Sher won by retirement as Tory Parravi, who had captured the first set, had to withdraw from the match. Fellow senior Nigora Sirojiddinova snapped a four-match losing streak and evened her season record at 9-9 with a straight-set victory at No. 2 (6-4, 6-1).
Anna Yang was the next to finish, capturing the third draw with a straight-set victory (7-5, 6-4). She is now 11-7 on the year. LMU would take the next point to draw the match within 3-2.
Man-Son-Hing then rallied for a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory at the fourth draw to seal the victory. She has now won two-straight three-set thrillers were she lost the opening frame.
Following suit, Lorraine Cheung was the last Matador to post a victory. She also rallied from a set down to improve to 11-6 on the season with her 2-6, 6-1 and 6-3 victory in the sixth draw.
The Matadors have a match at San Diego State on April 21 before heading to the Big West Championships in Indian Wells, Calif. The Matadors are likely to be the sixth seed and face No. 3 UC Irvine in the Quarterfinals.
1. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Tory Parravi (LMU) 4-6, 1-2, retired
2. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Ashley Anderson (LMU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
1. Jennifer Sher/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Ashley Anderson/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-4
2. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Anna Yang (CSUN) 8-5
3. Claudia Razzeto/Miya Jin (LMU) def. Maria Pistalu/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)