NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (12-8) defeated San Diego State on April 21 in a non-conference match in San Diego. Against their future Big West opponent, the Matadors won the doubles point and took the top three singles contests to drop the Aztecs.
With the Big West Championships in Indian Wells, Calif., set for April 26-29, Northridge picked up its second non-conference victory in a week to generate some momentum. Jennifer Sher and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing improved to 14-5 on the season in No. 1 doubles, securing the opening point with an 8-4 victory.
Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung teamed to win the No. 3 match and improve to 11-6 on the season with their 8-5. CSUN almost pulled off the sweep, but the Aztecs posted a 9-8 decision in the second draw over Nigora Sirojiddinova and Anna Yang.
In singles competition, Sher, Sirojiddinova and Yang captured the top three draws after all winning thrilling three-set victories. Sher improved to 14-6 on the season, all at No. 1 singles, with a 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 victory over Julia Wais.
Sirojiddinova won her third-straight set and moved to 10-9 with a 0-6, 7-5, 6-1 victory over Emma Cioffi. Finally, Yang 2-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory at No .3 to improve to 12-7 on the season.
All three victories came after SDSU won the fourth, fifth and sixth draw to take a 3-1 lead.
At 12-7 and 3-5 in Big West play, the Matadors are most likely looking at the sixth seed and UC Irvine in the quarterfinals. That match will be played in Indian Wells on April 27.
1. SHER, Jennifer (CSUN) def. WAIS, Julia (SDSU) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
2. SIROJIDDINOVA, Nigor (CSUN) def. CIOFFI, Emma (SDSU) 0-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. YANG, Anna (CSUN) def. ANTONANA IRIARTE, La (SDSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
4. AGUILAR, Alicia (SDSU) def. MAN-SONG-HING, Sabri (CSUN) 6-2, 6-0
5. ELLISON, Sierra (SDSU) def. PISTALU, Maria (CSUN) 6-3, 6-4
6. BUTH, Kristin (SDSU) def. CHEUNG, Lorraine (CSUN) 6-1, 6-1
1. SHER, Jennifer/MAN-SONG-HING, Sabri (CSUN) def. ELLISON, Roxanne/ELLISON, Sierra (SDSU) 8-4
2. WAIS, Julia/AGUILAR, Alicia (SDSU) def. SIROJIDDINOVA, Nigor/YANG, Anna (CSUN) 9-8
3. PISTALU, Maria/CHEUNG, Lorraine (CSUN) def. CIOFFI, Emma/ANTONANA IRIARTE, La (SDSU) 8-5