CSUN Tennis Downs UMKC 5-2 in Season Opener
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (1-0) defeated the University of Missouri-Kansas City 5-2 Saturday morning in the Matadors' 2013 season opener. Northridge won the doubles point by sweeping the first two contests to finish then watched as freshman Jessica Warren secured the victory over the Kangaroos with her first career singles victory.
In doubles play, seniors Sabrina Man-Son-Hing and Anna Yang rolled to an 8-3 victory in their No. 1 draw. That clinched the opening point as senior Maria Pistalu and junior Lorraine Cheung won 8-1 in their No. 2 draw. A third doubles match went unfinished.
In singles, Man-Son-Hing was the first to finish by posting a straight-set victory in her No. 3 contest. Sophomore Corinne Schnyder picked up CSUN's third point of the afternoon by rallying from down 5-0 in the second set to post a 6-1, 7-5 victory in the sixth draw.
Warren then secured the match for CSUN with a three-set victory in the fifth draw. She rallied for a 6-1, 2-6, and 6-3 victory. Yang took home the fifth point with a 5-7, 6-1 and 6-2 victory in the second draw.
The Kangaroos won at No. 1 and No. 4 to take two points in the contest.
CSUN returns to the courts on Saturday, Feb. 2 with a home contest against Cal State Fullerton. First serve is slated for 1 p.m. from Matador Tennis Complex.
1. Man-Son-Hing/Yang (CSUN) def. Boet/Stovianaka (UMKC) 8-3
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Delvai/Schulte (UMKC) 8-1
1. Boet (UMKC) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2
2. Yang (CSUN) def. Delvai (UNKC): 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Lizenby (UMKC): 6-1, 6-2
4. Stovianaka (UMKC) def. Cheung (CSUN): 1-6, 7-6 (2), 6-2
5. Warren (CSUN) def. Amsellam (UMKC): 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
6. Schynder (CSUN) def. Schulte (UMKC): 6-1, 7-5