NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-3) lost 4-3 to Stetson University Friday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. The Matadors took the doubles point and were victorious in the No. 1 singles contest, but the Hatters took four singles contests to escape with the narrow victory.
The Matadors continued their stellar play in doubles competition by claiming two of the three contests. Seniors Anna Yang and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing continued their perfect start to the season with an 8-5 victory in the top draw. The Matadors then clinched the opening point when senior Maria Pistalu and junior Lorraine Cheung took an 8-5 decision in the second draw.
In singles play, Pistalu captured the No. 1 draw with a 6-1, 7-6 (3) victory. Joining her in victory in singles play was her doubles teammate Cheung, who won 6-3, 6-4 in the fourth draw.
However, the Hatters took three singles contests in straight sets and ultimately won the match with a three-set victory in the No. 6 match.
Northridge returns to the court on Sunday, Mar. 10 with a home match against Pacific. First serve between the Matadors and Tigers is slated for 11 a.m.
Stetson 4 CSUN 3
1. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Lazarevic/Crespo (Stetson): 8-5
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Cable/Lepinay (Stetson): 8-5
3. Miller/Bukajeva (Stetson) def. Warren/Schnyder (CSUN): 8-1
1. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Lazarevic (Stetson): 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Crespo (Stetson) def. Yang (CSUN): 6-3, 6-1
3. Bukajeva (Stetson) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 6-3, 6-2
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Tatje (Stetson): 6-3, 6-4
5. Cable (Stetson) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-1, 6-3
6. Lepinay (Stetson) def. Marquez (CSUN): 6-1, 4-6, 6-0