Matador Tennis Edges Pacific 4-3 in Big West Action
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (6-3, 2-2 Big West) defeated Pacific 4-3 in a Big West Conference women's tennis match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN swept the doubles point and Maria Pistalu won a three-set decision in the top singles draw as the Matadors edged the Tigers in impressive fashion.
Traditionally an area of strength for Matador Tennis, the doubles play in 2013 has exceeded even those lofty standards. Seniors Anna Yang and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing improved to a perfect 9-0 on the season in No. 1 doubles play with an 8-4 victory.
In the second draw, senior Maria Pistalu and junior Lorraine Cheung captured a convincing 8-1 decision. The duo is now 8-1 on the season in No. 2 doubles play.
In singles play, both teams won three matches and three of the draws went to a decisive third set. The Matadors won in straight sets at No. 4 behind Cheung (7-5, 6-0) and No. 6 behind Warren (6-1, 6-4).
Although Pacific won two of the three-set affairs, Northridge won the top draw behind an impressive performance by Pistalu. She roared back to win 3-6, 6-1 and 6-0 in the top draw.
The effort the Matadors put up Sunday was not lost on head coach Gary Victor.
"We got a bad match out of our system and played extremely tough today," Victor said. "Maria Pistalu has become one of the toughest players in the Big West. Jessica Warren grew up so much this week and we are thrilled for her."
Northridge returns to the court on Mar. 14 with a home contest against New Mexico. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
CSUN 4 Pacific 3
1. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Masarova/Ritterova (Pacific): 8-4
2. Pistalu/Cheung (CSUN) def. Ferrari/Te (Pacific): 8-1
3. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN) def. Boncheva/Suarez (Pacific): 8-5
1. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Masarova (Pacific): 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
2. Ritterova (Pacific) def. Yang (CSUN): 6-3, 6-2
3. Te (Pacific) def. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN): 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Cheung (CSUN) def. Boncheva (Pacific): 7-5, 6-0
5. Ferrari (Pacific) def. Schnyder (CSUN): 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
6. Warren (CSUN) def. Suarez (Pacific): 6-1, 6-4