Northridge Tennis Falls 5-2 to Iowa
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (8-5) lost 5-2 to Iowa Thursday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. Seniors Anna Yang and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing were both successful in singles and doubles, but it was not enough to upset the nationally ranked Hawkeyes.
With the team back at full strength, head coach Gary Victor rolled out the regular doubles line-ups. In the top draw, Man-Son-Hing and Yang improved to 12-0 on the season, and all at No. 1, with an 8-6 victory.
However, the Hawkeyes won 8-6 at No. 2 and 8-3 at No. 3 to earn the match's first point.
Yang improved to 9-4 on the season with a thrilling three-set victory in the second draw. The senior from San Diego won 5-7, 7-5 and 7-5.
Man-Son-Hing was the other Matador to earn a singles victory. She posted a 6-2, 6-2 straight-set win in the third draw. She is now 5-6 in singles play on the season.
Iowa, which lost at 4-3 at Long Beach State in its previous match, won in straight sets in the first, fourth and sixth draw. Alexis Marquez dropped a tough three-set decision in the fifth match.
Victor saw some bright spots in defeat.
"We played a much better match today and had our chances. Iowa is a perennial NCAA Tournament team and we showed we can play at the level," Victor said. "However, we must convert our opportunities. Anna rose to the challenge and handled the pressure extremely well today."
CSUN returns to the courts on Saturday, Mar. 23 with a home contest against Division III Middlebury. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
Iowa 5 CSUN 2
1. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. McCulloch/Zordani (Iowa): 8-6
2. Talcott/Harazin (Iowa) def. Cheung/Pistalu (CSUN): 8-6
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Schnyder/Warren (CSUN): 8-3
1. Taclott (Iowa) def. Pistalu (CSUN): 6-0, 6-1
2. Yang (CSUN) def. McCulloch (Iowa): 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
3. Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Harazin (iowa): 6-2, 6-2
4. Zordani (Iowa) def. Cheung (CSUN): 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Marquez (CSUN): 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
6. Silver (Iowa) def. Chang (CSUN): 6-0, 6-0