Matador Tennis Posts 5-2 Victory over Cal Poly
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (10-8, 4-4 Big West) defeated Cal Poly 5-2 in a Big West Conference contest in San Luis Obispo, Calif. The Matadors won the doubles point and then captured four singles matches to dispatch of the Mustangs and snap a three-match losing streak.
In doubles action, the two teams split the first two matches to finish. That left it to the No. 2 doubles team of Maria Pistalu and Lorraine Cheung, who took a 9-8 decision in the match, winning the tiebreaker 10-8.
In singles, the Matadors got some strong play from two of their seniors. In the top singles draw, Pistalu rallied from a set down to win 4-6, 6-0, and 6-3. Fellow senior Anna Yang also was victorious Sunday, taking a 7-5 and 6-4 decision in the second draw.
In other singles action, Cheung posted a straight-set decision in the No. 4 match and Jessica Warren won in the fifth draw after her opponent retired.
CSUN head coach Gary Victor was happy to see his team perform well in its second match in as many days.
"This was a gutty win for our team. Cal Poly got two players back from injury and were very motivated to win today," Victor said. "This team continues to fight for everything and continues improving."
CSUN returns to action next weekend with a pair of matches in the Hawai'I Islands. The Matadors will face Hawai'I Pacific and the Rainbow Wahine of Hawai'I during their stay in the tropics.
Cal State Northridge 5, Cal Poly 2
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
April 7, 2013
1. Lee/Oxnevad (CP) def. Yang/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 8-5
2. Cheung/Pistalu (CSUN) def. McPike/Cornea (CP), 9-8
3. Marquez/Warren (CSUN) def. Kepler/Klavins (CP), 8-3
1. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 7-5, 6-4
3. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 6-3, 6-1
4. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-4, 6-4
5. Jessica Warren (CSUN) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 7-6, 2-1, ret.
6. Gabrielle Gatewood (CP) def. Alexis Marquez (CSUN), 6-5, 2-6, 7-5