NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Kristen Poei and Lorraine Cheung captured singles wins, but it was not enough as the visiting Cal State Northridge women's tennis (3-1) lost 4-3 to LMU Thursday afternoon. The Matadors won the doubles point, but the Lions won four singles matches to hand CSUN its first loss of 2014.
Hitting the road for the first time this spring, the Matadors started out on the right foot Thursday. Poei and Mickey Hsu won the No. 2 doubles contest, 8-2, and Criss Rodriguez and Vivian Lin captured an 8-6 decision in the top draw.
Rodriguez and Lin improved to 3-1 in doubles play while Poei and Hsu are now 3-0 on the year.
However in singles action, the host Lions fought back. LMU won the first four singles draws to finish up Thursday to earn the victory. All four victories were in straight sets.
Poei and Cheung were able to score a two singles points for CSUN. Both came from a set down to win the tiebreaker in the third set. The victories improved both Poei's and Cheung's season record to 3-1 in singles play.
The Matadors will look to rebound on Saturday, Feb. 15 with a home match against UC Riverside. First serve between the Big West Conference rivals is slated for noon at Matador Tennis Complex.
1. Rodriguez/Lin (CSUN) def. Jin/Perez (LMU): 8-6
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Rohonyi/Kouyoumjian (LMU): 8-2
3. Grossman/Mueller (LMU) def. Warren/Cheung (CSUN): 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Kouyoumjian (LMU) def. Rodriguez (CSUN): 6-0, 6-0
2. Perez (LMU) def. Lin (CSUN): 6-4, 7-5
3. Mueller (LMU) def. Hsu (CSUN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Rohonyi (LMU) def. Warren (CSUN): 6-4, 6-3
5. Poei (CSUN) def. Grossman (LMU): 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
6. Cheung (CSUN) def. Norlin (LMU): 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
Order of Finish: 1,3,4,2,6,5