NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (4-2, 2-1 Big West) fell 4-3 to Long Beach State Friday afternoon in a Big West match at Matador Tennis Complex. CSUN won the doubles point and captured the top singles draw, but the 49ers were able to rally and win four singles matches to complete the win.
Facing the perennially tough 49ers, CSUN nearly pulled off the upset on a beautiful day in the San Fernando Valley. Vivian Lin and Criss Rodriguez scored an 8-3 victory in the top doubles draw and Mickey Hsu and Kristen Poei won the second doubles draw 8-5.
Lin and Rodrgiuez improved to 5-1 overall and 2-1 against Big West foes in No. 1 doubles play. Hsu and Poei remain undefeated at 5-0 overall and 3-0 against league opponents.
With the early point, CSUN moved on to singles play. Lin rallied from down a set to post an impressive 2-6, 7-6 (2) and 7-6 (6) victory in the top draw. She is now 5-1 in singles play and 3-0 against conference opponents.
The other Matador to pick up a singles win was Jessica Warren. She won in straight sets in the fifth singles draw to post her second-straight victory.
In the decisive match of the day, Long Beach State's Karolina Rozenberg overcame a 5-1 deficit in the third set to win 7-5 over Poei in the third singles draw.
The Matadors remain at home for their next match, a Mar. 6 contest against Florida International. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Long Beach State 4 CSUN 3
Feb. 21, 2014
1. Lin/Rodriguez (CSUN) def. Unden/Razakasoa (LBSU) 8-3
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Rozenberger/Gerard (LBSU) 8-5
3. Eales/Reid (LBSU) def. Cheung/Warren (CSUN): 8-3
1. Lin (CSUN) def. Unden (LBSU) 2-6, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (6)
2. Razakasoa (LBSU) def. Hsu (CSUN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Gerard (LBSU) def. Rodriguez (CSUN) 6-4, 7-5
4. Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Poei (CSUN) 6-1, 2-6, 7-5
5. Warren (CSUN) def. Reid (LBSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Thompson (LBSU) def. Cheung (CSUN): 6-0, 6-2