NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
Despite winning the doubles point and getting an early 1-0 advantage, the Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (4-3) lost 4-3 to Florida International Thursday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex. Criss Rodriguez and Lorraine Cheung scored singles victories for the Matadors, but it was not enough to overcome the Golden Panthers.
CSUN got out to a quick start against FIU on a sunny day in the San Fernando Valley. Rodriguez and Vivian Lin posted an 8-4 victory in the No. 1 doubles match and Mickey Hsu and Kristen Poei also took an 8-4 decision in the No. 2 doubles match.
For the season, Lin and Rodriguez improved to 6-1 in doubles play with all their matches at the No. 1 draw. Hsu and Poei remained undefeated on the year in No. 2 doubles, improving to 6-0 on the season.
However, singles action saw FIU score four victories to take the match. Rodriguez evened her record at 3-3 with a 6-4, 4-6 and 10-8 decision in the third draw. Cheung won in straight sets (6-3, 6-4) in the sixth draw to improve her record to 5-2 in singles play.
The Matadors return to the court on Saturday, Mar. 8 with a Big West Contest at UC Irvine. First serve in Orange County is slated for 11 a.m. The next day, Mar. 9, CSUN hosts Montana at Matador Tennis Complex at 10 a.m.
FIU 4, CSUN 3
Mar. 6, 2014
Matador Tennis Complex
1. Rodriguez/Lin def. Trifunovic/Mohorcic (FIU): 8-4
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Orlando/Briceno (FIU): 8-4
1. Orlando (FIU) def. Lin (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2
2. Nagode (FIU) def. Hsu (CSUN): 6-1, 7-5
3. Rodrgiuez (CSUN) def. Trifunovic (FIU): 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
4. Mohorcic (FIU) def. Poei (CSUN): 6-4, 6-2
5. Boha (FIU) def. Warren (CSUN): 7-5, 6-0
6. Cheung (CSUN) def. Briceno (FIU): 6-3, 6-4