CSUN Tennis Can't Solve Big Green
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. ---
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (6-6) lost 5-2 to Dartmouth Saturday afternoon in a non-conference match at Matador Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon. The Matadors claimed the doubles point and Kristen Poei scored a singles win, but the Matadors could not stop Dartmouth in singles action.
Facing Dartmouth in its annual trip to the San Fernando Valley, CSUN continued to be stymied by the Ivy League's Big Green. The Matadors jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches.
Mickey Hsu and Poei won the decisive doubles match, taking a 8-7 (9-7) victory in the No. 2 draw. The duo is a sterling 9-1 on the season with the win. Lorraine Cheung and Scout Shutter won at No. 3, taking an 8-3 decision. The tandem improved to 2-1 on the year.
However, the Big Green struck for five victories in singles action to take the victory. Poei was the only Matador to have singles success Saturday, rallying for a 4-6, 7-5, 10-6 victory in the third draw. The win improved the freshman's record to 6-4 on the season.
Hsu suffered a tough three-set loss in the No. 2 draw. Corinne Schnyder made her singles debut for the season Saturday, but lost in straight sets in the sixth draw.
The Matadors return to action Sunday, Mar. 23 with an 11 a.m. match against Boise State at Matador Tennis Complex.
Dartmouth 5, CSUN 2
1. Yau/Ng (Dartmouth) def. Lin/Rodrigeuz (CSUN): 8-3
2. Hsu/Poei (CSUN) def. Matsuoka/Okuda (Darthmouth): 8-7 (9-7)
3. Cheung/Shutter (CSUN) def. Crawford/Keong (Dartmouth): 8-3
1. Yau (Dartmouth) def. Lin (CSUN): 6-1, 7-5
2. Ng (Dartmouth) def. Hsu (CSUN): 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Poei (CSUN) def. Matsuoka (Dartmouth): 4-6, 7-5, 10-6
4. Okuda (Dartmouth) def. Cheung (CSUN): 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
5. Tan (Dartmouth) def. Shutter (CSUN): 6-1, 6-1
6. Bessen (Dartmouth) def. Schnynder (CSUN): 6-2, 6-2