Northridge Falls 6-1 to No. 66 Cal Poly
Feb. 6, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (3-3, 0-1 Big West) lost 6-1 to No. 66 Cal Poly Sunday afternoon in its Big West opener. Junior Jennifer Sher won in both singles and doubles for the Matadors, earning their only point.
The Mustangs represented the Matadors' third ranked opponent of the season and Cal Poly took an early lead by winning two of three doubles matches.
Sher and Brooke Doane captured the top-seeded doubles match with an 8-7 victory. However Cal Poly won the other two matches, albeit close decisions, to earn the point.
In singles, the Matadors battled but were able to only walk away with one point on the day. Sher won her No. 2 match, 7-6 and 7-5, to earn her second singles win of the year.
Doane was the only Northridge player to go to three sets. She lost her No. 1 match to Alexa Lee, 6-0, 3-6 and 6-2.
The Matadors return home for their next match, another Big West Conference contest. On Feb. 8, Northridge will host Cal State Fullerton with first serve slated for 2 p.m.
No. 66 Cal Poly 6, Cal State Northridge 1
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
Feb. 6, 2011
1. Doane/Sher (CSUN) def. Lee/Markhoff (CP), 8-7 (7-5)
2. Davis/Pane (CP) def. Jaworowski/Yang (CSUN), 8-5
3. Lehane/Gatewood (CP) def. Sirojiddinova/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN), 8-4
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN), 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
2. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def Ashley Pane (CP), 7-6, 7-5
3. Florence Lehane (CP) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN), 6-1, 6-1
4. Jennifer Cornea (CP) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN), 6-3, 6-3
5. Jocelyn Davis (CP) def. Anna Yang (CSUN), 6-2, 7-5
6. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN), 6-0, 6-3