Feb. 12, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (4-4, 1-2 Big West) fell 4-3 to No. 43 Long Beach State Saturday afternoon. The Matadors captured the doubles point and nearly snapped the 49ers' lengthy Big West winning streak, but ultimately fell just short.
CSUN came out determined to make a statement against Long Beach State. The Matadors earned a hard-fought doubles point by taking two of the three matches.
In singles action, Doane and Nina Jaworowski each won for head coach Gary Victor. Doane played at the second draw, winning in three sets: 6-4, 2-6 and 6-4. Jaworowski captured the No. 3 draw with a 6-3, 6-1 win.
However, the 49ers won the bottom three singles matches in the bracket to set up a dramatic finish at No. 1 draw. In that match, Sher won the first set over Anais Dallara, but could not capitalize on the advantage and fell in three sets.
CSUN continues its test against Big West opponents in its next two matches. On Feb. 19, the Matadors host UC Santa Barbara and then face UC Davis on Feb. 20 also at home.
No. 43 Long Beach State 4, CSUN 3
1. Doane/Sher, CSUN, def. Armstrong/Dallara, LBSU 8-5
2. Cantlay/Luzar, LBSU def. Jaworowski/Yang, CSUN 8-6
3. Man-Son-Hing/Pistalu, CSUN, def. Alawi/Jeczmionka, LBSU 9-7
1. Anais Dallara, LBSU def. Jennifer Sher, CSUN 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Brooke Doane, CSUN def. Jaklin Alawi, LBSU 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Nina Jaworowski, CSUN def. Deborah Armstrong, LBSU 6-3, 6-1
4. Anna Jeczmionka, LBSU def. Nigora Sirojiddinova, CSUN 6-2, 6-1
5. Sarah Cantlay, LBSU def. Anna Yang, CSUN 6-2, 6-3
6. Rachel Manasse, LBSU def. Maria Pistalu, CSUN 7-5, 6-3