Matadors Fall to Rainbow Wahine, 5-2
Feb. 23, 2009
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. -
The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (2-7) dropped a 5-2 non-conference match Sunday afternoon to the University of Hawai'i Rainbow Wahine at the Matador Tennis Complex. Sophomore Nina Jaworowski and freshman Nigora Sirojiddinova won their singles matches to earn the Matadors two points.
Jaworowski won her No. 2 singles match over Natasha Zorec, who had to retire from the match after trailing 2-0 in the first set. Sirrojiddinova won 6-4 in straight sets over Alyssa Nafarrete at the fifth position to earn her second win of the season in singles play.
In doubles action, freshman Evgeniya Vertesheva and sophomore Brooke Doane improved their doubles record to 6-1 with an 8-4 victory over Anja-Vanessa Peter and Melinda Wong. However, the Rainbow Wahine took the doubles point as Sophie Kobuch and Aglae Van den Bergh defeated Jaworowski and Sirrojiddinova at the No. 2 position, 8-5, while Zorec teamed with Nafarrete to defeat Whitney Paluch and Julie Onishenko, 8-5, at the No. 3 position.
In singles action, Vertehsheva lost her No. 1 match, 4-6, 6-3 and 6-1 to Kobuch while Doane also lost in three sets, falling to Peter, 4-6, 7-6 (2) and 6-1.
In the second half of the bracket, Wong defeated Paluch, 4-6, 6-0 and 6-2 at the No. 4 position. At the sixth position, Paluch fel 6-1, 6-0 to Van den Bergh.
Northridge returns to action on Feb. 24 when it hosts Louisiana-Lafayette at Matador Tennis Complex. First serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Hawai'i def. Cal State Northridge, 5-2
Doubles (UH wins doubles point)
1. Doane/Vertesheva (CSN) def. Peter/Wong (UH), 8-3
2. Kobuch/Van den Bergh (UH) def. Jaworowski/Sirojiddinova (CSN), 8-4
3. Zorec/Nafarrete (UH) def. Onishenko/Paluch (CSN), 8-5
1. Sophie Kobuch (UH) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (CSN), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Nina Jaworowski (CSN) def. Natasha Zorec (UH), 0-0(40-40), ret.
3. Anja-Vanessa Peter (UH) def. Brooke Doane (CSN), 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-1
4. Melinda Wong (UH) def. Whitney Paluch (CSN), 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSN) def. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 6-4, 6-4
6. Aglae Van den Bergh (UH) def. Julie Onishenko (CSN), 6-1, 6-0