Feb. 23, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-5) won defeated Hawai'i-Pacific, 4-3, Tuesday afternoon in the Matadors' first of four matches in Honolulu. Nigora Sirojiddinova captured the winning point for the Matadors, rallying to take her No. 4 singles match in three sets after dropping the first set.
The Sea Warriors proved a difficult foe in singles for the Matadors. CSUN dropped three of the six contests, including the No. 1 and No. 3 draw. Sirojiddinova's match proved the tipping point, as the junior took a 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 victory.
Jennifer Sher improved her singles record to 5-2 with a straight-set win at the second draw. Lorraine Cheung was the other Matador to post a singles point, winning in straight sets in her sixth-seeded match.
However, stellar doubles play would lead the Matadors to the victory. Sher and Brooke Doane, ranked No. 78 in the nation, posted an 8-0 victory at the top draw. Maria Pistalu and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing then secured the point with an 8-4 victory in the No. 3 match.
The Matadors remain in Honolulu for their next three contests, starting with a match against Hawai'i on Feb. 23. They will also face No. 60 San Diego State on Feb. 25 and BYU-Hawai'i on Feb. 26.
Upon their return from the tropics, CSUN will host nine-straight home matches at Matador Tennis Complex. The first is a meeting with Georgetown on Mar. 6.
1. #7 Zora Vlckova (HPU) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN) 6-2, 7-5
2. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Carrie Shuler (HPU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Ielyzaveta Rybakova (HPU) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
4. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Florie Paquay (HPU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
5. Aleksandra Stankovic (HPU) def. Ryma Korab (CSUN) 6-3, 6-4
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Sandra Wikstrom (HPU) 6-3, 7-5
1. #78 Brooke Doane/Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Carrie Shuler/Ielyzaveta Rybakova (HPU) 8-0
2. Zora Vlckova/Celina Goetti (HPU) def. Nina Jaworowksi/Lorraine Cheung (CSN) 8-4
3. Maria Pistalu/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSN) def. Aleksandra Stankovic/ Sandra Wikstrom (HPU) 8-4