Matador Tennis Pulls off Pair of Victories Friday in Hawaii
Feb. 25, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (7-5) won a pair of matches Friday during its stay in Hawai'i. In Honolulu, the Matadors posted a 6-1 victory over Hawai'i and then followed it up with a 4-3 decision over No. 62 San Diego State.
The match with the Rainbow Wahine started originally on Wednesday, Feb. 23. However, weather and darkness had to suspend the match that evening with CSUN holding a 3-1 advantage. Play resumed Friday and CSUN took the final three singles matches to post the 6-1 victory over their future conference rival.
In doubles action, CSUN took the top two draws against the host Rainbow Wahine. Brooke Doane and Jennifer Sher continued to spot a perfect record with an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 seed. At the second draw, Maria Pistalu and Sabrina Man-Son-Hing took an 8-5 victory to give the point to the Matadors.
In singles, only Doane was unsuccessful for the Matadors. She lost in three sets to a ranked player at the No. 1 draw. Otherwise, Sher took her second-seeded match in straight sets, while Nina Jaworowski earned a hard-fought, three-set decision at the third seed.
The bottom half of the bracket saw Nigora Sirojiddinova rally from down a set to win in three at the fourth draw. At No. 5, Pistalu also had to go to a third and decisive set before pulling out the match. Finally, Lorraine Cheung took the No. 6 draw in straight sets to complete singles play.
Following the match with the Rainbow Wahine, CSUN geared up for a match with another nationally ranked opponent. And for the first time this season, the Matadors came away with the win.
Against the Aztecs, CSUN again took the first point of the match to set the early tone. Doane and Sher improved to a perfect 10-0, all at the No. 1 draw, with an 8-2 victory over the No. 46 doubles team in the nation. Sher and Doane entered the week ranked No. 78 in Division-I.
The Matadors completed their run in doubles when Pistalu and Man-Son-Hing took an 8-6 match at the No. 3 draw to earn the Matadors the early point.
Singles action looked to be a tight affair with both teams battling for every point. CSUN took the first two matches to finish, winning at No. 5 and No. 6 behind strong performances from Pistalu and Cheung, respectively.
SDSU answered right back, winning at the third and fourth draw to make the score 3-2. Then, the Aztecs took the No. 1 match, a three-set decision in which Doane lost, to even the match at 3-3.
The last contest to finish was at No. 2, pitting Sher against Alicia Aguilar. After dropping the first set, Sher stormed back to drop only six games over the next two sets to earn the win and capture the match for the Matadors.
Northridge remains in Hawai'i for one more contest, a match with BYU-Hawai'i on Saturday, Feb. 26.
Cal State Northridge def. Hawai'i , 6-1
Doubles (CSUN wins point)
1. No. 78 Brooke Doane/Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Pinterova/Poljakova (UH) 8-3
2. Maria Pistalu/Sabrina Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. Van den Bergh/Zorec (UH) 8-5
3. Nafarrete/Tadaki (UH) def. Nina Jaworowski/Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 8-6
Singles (CSUN wins point)
1. No. 94 Poljakova (UH) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
2. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Barbara Pinterova (UH) 6-2, 7-5
3. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Natasha Zorec (UH) 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
4. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def.Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Aglae Van den Bergh 7-6, 2-6, 7-5
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Mari Tadaki (UH) 6-1, 6-2
Cal State Northridge 4, No. 62 San Diego State 3
1. No. 78 Doane/Sher (CSUN) def. No. 46 Wais/Aguilar (SDSU), 8-2
2. Trunk/Cioffi (SDSU) def. Jaworowski/Yang (CSUN), 8-1
3. Pistalu/Man-Son-Hing (CSUN) def. S. Ellison/Colman (SDSU), 8-6
1. Julia Trunk (SDSU) def. Brooke Doane (CSUN), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. Nina Jaworowski (CSUN), 6-4, 6-2
4. Sierra Ellison (SDSU) def. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN), 6-3, 6-1
5. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Emma Cioffi (SDSU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) def. Olivia Colman (SDSU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 5, 4, 3, 1, 2*