Northridge Tennis Earns 6-1 Victory over Hawai'i
March 9, 2010
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (5-2) won a hard-earned 6-1 decision over Hawai'i Tuesday afternoon at the Matador Tennis Complex. Northridge won two of the three doubles matches and then won five singles matches, four of which went to a decisive third set.
In fact, five of the six singles matches went to three sets. Brooke Doane, who was named Big West Player of the Week Tuesday afternoon, nearly pulled off a victory at the No. 1 draw. She lost to Sophie Kobuch, 6-4, 3-6 and 6-3.
Still, Matador Head Coach Gary Victor was very happy with the results.
"I thought this was our best performance of the year," Victor said. "Hawai'i is a very good squad that is finally healthy, and we battled to this win."
The first Matador to win in singles was freshman Anna Yang. Her fifth-seeded 6-3, 6-4 victory over Alyssa Nafarrete was the only singles match not to go to a decisive set.
Next to finish was Maria Pistalu, a freshman who moved to 5-1 on the year with a 6-2, 4-6 and 6-2 win at the No. 6 draw over Algae Van Den Bergh.
Clinching the victory for the Matadors was Nigora Sirojiddinova. She defeated Natasha Zorec 6-0, 2-6, 6-4 to improve her season record to 5-1.
However, the dramatics were far from over. Nina Jaworowski rallied from down 7-4, 4-0 to defeat Barbara Pinterova at the No. 2 draw. Then, Whitney Paluch deliverd a 6-4, 4-6 and 7-5 decision in her No. 3 draw over Katarina Poljakova.
In doubles play, Yang and Doane moved to 6-1 in No. 1 action, defeating Kobuch and Poljakova, 8-6. Pistalu and Sirojiddinova clinched the point for CSUN, winning the No. 3 match, 8-5, over Van den Bergh and Zorec.
Jaworowski and Paluch fell to Pinterova and Nafarrete in the No. 2 doubles match.
The Matadors return to the court Sunday when they travel to San Diego for two matches. On Mar. 14, they face the University of San Diego. Two days later, they take on Washington State.
CSUN 6, Hawai'i 1
1. Brooke Doane/Anna Yang (CSUN) def. Sophie Kobuch/Katarina Poljakova (UH), 8-6
2. Barbara Pinterova/Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) def. Nina Jaworowski/Whitney Paluch (CSUN) 8-3
3. Nigora Sirojiddinova/Maria Pistalu (CSUN) def. Aglae Van den Bergh/Natasha Zorec (UH) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Kobuch (UH) def. Doane (CSUN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Jaworowski (CSUN) def. Pinterova (UH) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Paluch (CSUN) def. Poljakova (UH) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
4. Sirojiddinova (CSUN) def. Zorec (UH) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
5. Yang (CSUN) def. Nafarrete (UH) 6-3, 6-4
6. Pistalu (CSUN) def. Van den Bergh (UH) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5,6,1,4,2,3