April 10, 2011
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The Cal State Northridge women's tennis team (13-9, 2-5 BWC) lost 5-2 to No. 60 UC Irvine Saturday afternoon at Matador Tennis Complex. Brooke Doane won her fifth-straight singles match in straight sets at the No. 1 draw, but the Matadors could not overcome an early point deficit after doubles play.
For one of the few times this season, the Matadors did not take the doubles point. Maria Pistalu and Doane won at their top-seeded draw, but both the two and three doubles teams for CSUN suffered close defeats.
In singles action, Daone won 7-5, 6-4 over Courtney Byron to improve to an even 10-10 on the year, winning 7-5 and 6-4. Doane has now won her last five singles matches with the last two victories, including Saturday's, coming at the No. 1 draw.
The other Matador to win in singles action Saturday was Anna Yang. She improved to 7-4 on the season with a straight-set victory (6-0,6-1) over Hayley Young at the No. 6 draw.
CSUN returns to action on April 14 with its final non-conference dual match of the year, a match-up against LMU. First serve between the Matadors and Lions is slated for 2 p.m.
No. 60 UC Irvine 5, CSUN 2
1. Doane/Pistalu (CSUN) d. Holladay/Kwan (UCI) 8-4
2. Byron/Smith (UCI) d. Sher/Mansonhing (CSUN) 8-6
3. Goettsching/M. Young (UCI) d. Sirojiddinova/Yang (CSUN) 8-5
1. Brooke Doane (CSUN) d. Courtney Byron (UCI) 7-5, 6-4
2. Becka Kwan (UCI) d. Jennifer Sher (CSUN) 7-5, 7-6(3)
3. Kristina Smith (UCI) d. Maria Pistalu (CSUN) 6-4, 6-4
4. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) d. Nigora Sirojiddinova (CSUN) 8-5
5. Hannah Holladay (UCI) d. Lorraine Cheung (CSUN) 6-3,6-4
6. Anna Yang (CSUN) d. Hayley Young (UCI) 6-0, 6-1